Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Return of the Best Goggles In Baseball


I didn't get home tonight until the 9th inning, so I missed the great effort by Big Pelf, but I did get home just in time to see Duaner Sanchez's big return to Shea. Watching him point to the sky and walk out of the bullpen, I was feeling so so nervous for him. I can't believe it's been 21 months since we last saw him in a real game. Remember how great it was that first half of 2006 when the ball was handed off to the bullpen and you could feel confident they'd get it done? I know it's been a long time and we can't expect him to be the same pitcher he was right away, but I'm optimistic. He looked good tonight. It was just one game, but it was a huge first step. After the final out he just looked so grateful and relieved. I was so happy for him watching Willie and all his teammates congratulating him. And at first I thought it was sweet when Reyes jumped into him, but then I thought please, can we watch the shoulder? Seriously, he worked so long to get back here, we can't take any chances.

Good to have you back, Duaner, I missed you while you were gone.

No comments: