Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hearts On Fire. Strong Desire.

Today the New York Times ran this great article: Meet David Wright, the Real Mr. Met , and it just reminded me of everything there is to love about David. My favorite quote:

“I’m at a point in my life where, besides my family, I can’t think of anything more important to me than baseball,” Wright said. “I thought about what happened last year all the time, but I used it as a driving force to get bigger, stronger and quicker. I focused 100 percent on getting ready physically because I don’t want to feel what I felt watching the playoffs from home.”

If there was one person on the Mets you could never hold the collapse against it was David. Not just because he performed so well down the stretch, but because you never had to question just how much is heart was in it. What stung the most about September was feeling like the team was just completely indifferent, like they didn't want it nearly as bad as we did as fans. Whenever David spoke you could tell without question that it was killing him just like it was killing us.

So as soon as I heard the quote above what came to mind? Rocky Balboa. Picture David old school training all winter long. Railroad tracks, meat lockers, snow covered mountains, whatever it takes. Thirsting day and night to avenge the death of the 2007 season!




But aren't those stairs in Philadelphia you say? Well, David goes there to train so that he will be constantly reminded of the pain of watching the Phillies win and rob him of the glory that should have been. He remembers and he is pushed to be the best. And at the end of the day, because he's David Wright, he runs all the way home to New York. With his dog.

So get ready because bigger, stronger, quicker D-Wright is ready for 2008. He will triumph and he will bring the Mets to victory!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cracked up at these pictures! They are hilarious and David looks so goofy and ridiculous!
PPPPHHHHIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYY!